Well, I’ve gained most of the range of motion back in my hand. Let’s start with a rig update, both in terms of updating the blog on what I’m using, as well as updating the emulators themselves. From there, I’ll move to talk about my current projects. Posts won’t be as regular as they were before the hiatus, because of the information at the end. It’ll be worth it, I promise. I have two big projects at the end that will become a very large part of my emulation, so please read to the end. If you must, skip the emulator updates.
- I’ve updated ePSXe to version 2.0.5 from version 1.9.25.
- I’ve updated Dolphin to version 5.0 from version 4.0.
- I’ve updated Project64 from version 1.6 to version 2.3.
- zsnesw is still current, at version 1.51. I’ve kept a copy of 1.41 on my hard drive for the netplay feature. I need to remember to download Snes9x.
- jNES is still current, at version 1.1.1. I have a folder full of emulators to screw around with.
- PCSX2 is a mess. I’ve been fussing with settings, so who knows what the default is supposed to be. The version I’m using is 1.2.1. I’ve downloaded version 1.4.0, but I haven’t installed it yet. I think I’m going to use the two versions side-by-side. I’ll preen through any compatibility updates between the versions.
- I’m choosing not to work with Kega Fusion or PPSSPP right now. I’ve got some ideas for playing with them later.
- I’m looking into Dreamcast emulation. This is a big thing for me. I’ve downloaded the current version of nullDC, and I’m looking at the other available emulators to see what’s going to work the best for my needs.
That leaves me to my current projects. I’m pretty excited about some of these, particularly the last two.
- I’m putting together a video concerning emulation of Katamari Damacy, which is probably my favorite PS2 game.
- I’m half-done on a couple of RGotW write-ups. I’m probably going to do this every month, rather than every week.
- BIG NEWS ITEM #1: That Dreamcast emulator is going to be important, because I’ve never played a Dreamcast. I’ve decided that I’m going to play the entire catalog of US releases for the Dreamcast, complete with video and discussion. I guess it’s a chron-gaming project in a sense, but for me, this is a process of discovery.
- BIG NEWS ITEM #2: A fellow redditor and I have decided to sit down every few weeks and play a game together. The process we’re planning is to use Skype’s screen sharing feature to watch the other play for a few minutes. We’ll save at that point, send the save file to the other and pick up where we left off. This is really cool because this other redditor and I know nothing about each other. The concept is meant to be a couple of folks sitting on a couch by each other and playing a game. Of course, that’s not quite how it’ll work, but it’s close enough.
I feel like these projects will make me feel better about being unable to play for so long. I was starting to get kind of down because of losing my stress release, but I think it was a good thing. I was stuck in a rut, playing the same few games and failing myself when it came to the diversity I wanted. The Dreamcast project will help me branch out with a completely new (to me) system, and playing with the other redditor will help me branch out with older systems, as we seem to be interested in different games.
To branching out: cheers!